Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Garlic Miso Butter Shrimp

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

May we all be blessed with good health, happiness and prosperity. 

My resolution this year is to incorporate more compassion daily in my life. I honestly think if more people in the world exhibited more caompassion, we would all be living in a much nicer world. 

One small step can lead to a huge giant leap!

That said, we don't really have a "traditional" New Year's day meal. Growing up, we ate a lot of fresh seafood living in the San Francisco Bay Area. 

Now that I have lived in Northern Iowa for almost 20 years, fresh seafood is just about as common as finding diamonds here. 

Not quite that bad, but you can only eat so much frozen Haddock. 

Haha! No really, nowadays you can find various seafood as well as scallops, clams and mussels. Whatever can be flown in that is in season. 

Luckily my whole family loves Shrimp. I actually prefer crab, but that would blow my whole monthly food budget, then we'd be eating ramen and canned beans the rest of the month.

So anyway, today, New Year's day, I am making a riff on Jaden's recipe at Steamy Kitchen for Miso Butter Shrimp.

That is a recipe for Shrimp that I changed up by adding crushed garlic and fresh minced parsley, making it more Scampi-ish. 

Believe me you'll want to drink the sauce it's so good. it is delish on any fish, chicken or seafood. 

Photo Courtesythefoodfairy.files.wordpress.com

 

Garlic Miso Butter Shrimp

    Ingredients
1 lb. Shrimp- if frozen, thawed. Peeled and de-veined. I use (24-30) Shrimp
2 tbsp Rice cooking wine
2 tbsp Mirin or a sweet wine or omit
2 tsp White Miso (I use about a tablespoon-that's how much we like it)
2 garlic cloves-minced finely-I use a microplane to grate mine superfine. 
4 tbsp butter-melted
1/4 cup Parsley-finely minced

      Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  2. Mix the wine, Mirin, miso and garlic until thoroughly incorporated. 
  3. Pour into a shallow baking dish large enough to fit the Shrimp in a single layer,add the Shrimp and toss to coat.
  4. Melt the butter and pour over the Shrimp, sprinkle with the parsley and mix to coat. 
  5. *Place in the oven and roast for 10-12 minutes, or until the Shrimp are pink and cooked through. 
*This is the method we use during the cold winter months here or they can be broiled.
Alternatively, when the weather is conducive I would grill these outdoors on a medium hot grill, 2-3 minutes per side, until cooked through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....