Thursday, January 3, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Hash Brown Bake

Currently in North Iowa it's 10F and with a slight wind chill, the temperature is -4F.
Sometimes I think moving here from Northern California was questionable, and that mostly happens when the temperature drops below 10F or the heat index rises above 100F.

Both frequently happen in this neck of the woods.

Since we're dealing with the chill factors this time of year, my thoughts of cooking are focused on "comfort" foods. Warming, filling, tasty concoctions that bring us all together and just make you go ah.....

So here is my riff on the Buffalo Chicken Craze.




Photo:Carol1229



This bad boy will warm you, fill you up and make you want some more!!!

Ingredients:

1 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips-I used tenderloins
1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce (recommended: Frank's Red Hot)
6 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 cup ranch or blue cheese dressing (I used ranch)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup minced celery
1 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 tsp black pepper
Crumbled Blue Cheese(opt.)
1/2 cup panko or fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 3 medium)

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. In medium bowl, stir together chicken and wing sauce and place into baking dish.

3. In large bowl, stir together potatoes, dressing, cheddar cheese, celery, pepper and soup. Spoon potato mixture on top of chicken. Sprinkle blue cheese over the top if using.

4. In small bowl, stir together panko or crumbs and butter. Sprinkle on top potatoes.

5. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes; uncover and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with green onions.


**I just want to say folks I made this last night and I used tater tots. Someone(me) forgot that she didn't purchase frozen hash browns last weekend. But I think we all found that we like the Tater Tot version better. Everythings better with Tater Tots!! We had a guest over that has an aversion to celery, so I omitted that as well. It was PHENOMENAL!!!
Make this, you will love it!!
Photo: Jeansrunningcafe.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. It has been really cold here, too - I would definitely want to warm up with some of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all things made with Frank's! This looks wonderful and I've pinned it to my Buffalo Chicken board. Thanks so much for linking to the Weekend Potluck. I'm looking forward to following you!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Sometimes the best things just come from "oops"!!LOL

    ReplyDelete

I relish your comments....