Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Parmesan and Garlic Roasted Broccoli

My youngest two are convinced, anytime they see me make broccoli, that I am trying to torture them.

Seriously??

They ask to cover it up with Ranch dressing or mayonnaise (yes, mayo, it's actually sometimes a "sauce" in our house) and if available a cheese sauce. I mean, come on...

I personally like broccoli any way I can get it; raw, steamed, sauteed, or deep-fried. 

But I recently came across a method that makes Broccoli get eaten like it's candy. Not just figuratively, literally....I had to make my youngest stop grabbing them off the baking sheet so that I could portion out DH and my dishes or we wouldn't have gotten any!!

HIGH HEAT ROASTING
 
I can't even imagine why I haven't thought of this before, I mean I use this same method with hard winter squash, cauliflower and certain meats. 

Okay, I'm done walking around the kitchen, kicking myself. Instead I'll share some of this magic with you and it's so easy and simple, it's divine.
As you can see by the photo, the broccoli gets cooked, and slightly crispy, it is tender but still has a nice "chew". The slightly browned bits are the Parmesan cheese that crisped up, mmmm some real goodness there.  It should be called.....


KG This Is Not Goodbye
Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of broccoli, florets cut off and stalks discarded (I save them for compost or veg. broth)
  • 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
  • 1 Garlic clove, minced or pressed
  • 1/4 cup shredded or flaked Parmesan cheese (don't used the powdered kind here)
  • Pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or foil.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the oil, salt, garlic, and cheese. 
  3. Add in broccoli and toss until all the florets are coated with oil and cheese.
  4. Spread them evenly on the baking sheet and add pepper. 
  5. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until slightly browned and tender. Shake the pan once in the middle of roasting time. 
We enjoyed ours as a side to a a delicious slow cooker Pork Stew over couscous. Yum-me!!
**This recipe is featured on Taste and Tell Thursdays

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....