Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Cheese-iest Enchiladas

Almost anywhere in America on Tuesday resonates with the meal of the day being "Taco Tuesday". Meaning Mexican Fiesta food day of the week. 

Well at least here in my little corner of the world, it is. We have 2-3 restaurants in town (does the local gas station and Casey's count?) and on Tuesday they always feature a Mexican dish or two. 

Anticipating that I sorted, rinsed and put dry pinto beans in my slow cooker Monday night. Covered with water and left to sit until the morning. 

Before I left for work that morning I added a tbsp of chile powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes with green chili's and for good measure a whole jalapeno and a handful of diced onion. Stirred, covered and cooked on low for 8 hours. 

Easy Peasy Ranch Beans. 

When I got home that night, I planned on making one of my family's favorites. The Cheese-iest Enchiladas. 

They are super simple, prep is quick and easy and they are done in a flash.  

And they photograph beautifully. Who wouldn't want a bite of all that ooey, gooey cheesey-ness?





Ingredients:
12 6-7" flour tortillas
4 cups shredded cheese, divided-I used sharp cheddar and colby/jack mixed
2 1/2 cups Enchilada sauce-2 sm cans or 1 large can (I make my own)   

Optional Toppings-Olives, Avocados, Diced green onions, Tomatoes.....

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 2- 11 x 7 glass baking dishes or one  large 11 x 15 baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of each dish and swirl to coat.
  2. In a large bowl , place 3 cups of the cheese and set 1 cup aside. Pour 3/4 cup of enchilada sauce on the 3 cups of cheese and toss lightly to combine. 
  3. Place a tortilla in front of you and put approx. 1/4 cup of cheese across the edge nearest you and roll up tightly. Place seam side down in a dish. Continue with the 11 other tortillas.  
  4. Pour the remaining sauce evenly over each dish. Sprinkle with half of the remaining cheese. 
  5. Bake for about 15 minutes and sprinkle with the other remaining cheese and place back in the oven for another 5 minutes. 
  6. Remove and let rest for about 5-10 minutes, they serve easier then. Garnish as you desire. We like green onions and avocado.  Enjoy! 
*This recipe if featured on Taste and Tell Thursdays
 and on The Country Cook Weekend Potluck #55
 also on Tidy Mom I'm Lovin' It Party
AND...Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms-Melt In Your Mouth Blog-Hop #105
Spicy Thursday@DC In Style

Mix it up Monday @ Flour Me with Love
Mealtime Monday @ Couponing and Cooking

My Sweet and Savory@Meatless Monday

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! My family would love this-thanks for the recipe.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha, It IS so good and (shhhhhh!) easy.

      Delete

I relish your comments....