Thursday, June 6, 2013

Slow Cooker Lasagna


I am still actively using my slow cooker, even though in some parts of the US it's 100F or over.

Here in North Iowa it's still in the 60's and pouring rain...

I refuse to turn my heater back on though, so Mother Nature better cooperate pretty soon. 

Today I whipped this meal together with my 17 year old daughter. Having your children help you in the kitchen gives them a better idea of where the actual end result originated from. They are also excited to be a part of the prep and really look forward to eating it!

And, I am trying to give her a few easy recipes to add to her basic arsenal when she leaves for college next year. I want her to be able to survive on more than ramen, mac n cheese or quesadillas.  

It came out much better than I even anticipated. 


I did set aside 1/2 cup of the Mozzarella cheese and sprinkled that all over the last 5 minutes. I also found that if you let it set for about 10-15 minutes, uncovered, it is much easier to cut and serve.


 Ingredients:
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 24 oz jar or can of Marinara sauce
1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes-pureed in the blender or with a stick blender
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
lasagna noodles-uncooked
2 cups ricotta or cottage cheese
3 cups Mozzarella shredded cheese-divided

Directions:
  1. Spray the interior crock of a slow cooker with non stick spray. 
  2. In a large sauce pan, brown and crumble beef. Add in marinara sauce, seasonings and the tomatoes. 
  3. Cook and simmer for 5 minutes. 
  4. Combine the ricotta and 2 1/2 cups of the cheese in a bowl. 
  5. Ladle 1/4 of the sauce onto the bottom of the crock. 
  6. Cover with lasagna noodles, braking them up if needed. 
  7. Dollop all over with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture. 
  8. Continue with 2 more layers ending with sauce 
  9. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. 
  10. 5 minutes before serving sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and cover to melt. 

Enjoy!

This recipe is shared on My Link Parties

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....