Friday, September 13, 2013

Blueberry Crumble Bars




The blueberries are so plentiful this summer. I buy pint after pint, after awhile you can only make so many smoothies and add them to cereal or oatmeal only so much much.

My family loves them, but like anything, it needs to be eaten in moderation, except Peaches-I could eat a fresh peach every day of my life.

So to give my family a break from "fresh" blueberries, I made these delicious bars.

Now we need to figure out a way to eat these in moderation-they want me to make them ALL the time!

Haha, can't win sometimes...



These bars are buttery, and have just the right amount a blueberry goodness and the crumbly topping makes it hard to not want to eat more!

Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cold butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
1 egg
Zest and juice of one lemon
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely-even chilling in the frig, before cutting into squares.

*These bars/cookies are best stored chilled.


This recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Enjoy!!

This recipe is shared on My Link Parties

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....