Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Taco Chip Salad

It's a throwback recipe here.




But how cool, fun and easy now that we're in the midst of hot weather (wheeeee, finally!)?!

I kinda remember having this salad-that was 30-40 years ago-yeah, don't even try and count the years. Cause I'm thinking I was really young when those taco seasoned tortilla chips became all the rage.

Even though they were sold Nationally in the late 60's, this salad was an enduring recipe years later. I don't think my own mother ever purchased those taco flavored chips, so I must have tasted this at a potluck or friends house. But it was a tasty memory never the less.

This salad hits all the right notes; Crunchy, Spicy, Tangy, Cool, Crisp and Sweet.



Below is the cast of characters that is only limited by your pantry or imagination. Feel free to add in picante sauce, jalapeƱos, olives and so on. 





INGREDIENTS:
1 large head iceberg lettuce, washed and chopped
2-3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 purple onion, chopped
1 can Black or Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
12 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
1 large (12 oz.) Bag Doritos Corn Chips, broken into pieces
2-3 cups French or Catalina Salad Dressing, chilled

Directions:
In a large bowl, add lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and beans, toss. 
Add cheese, chips, and dressing.
Toss well together, and serve immediately. Best when chilled.
Cooked beef or chicken taco meat can be added and almost any substitutions can be made.






Enjoy!!
This recipe is shared on My Link Parties
Also shared on Weekend Potluck 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....