Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pesto Tortelloni Salad



I made this the other day, for a friend that recently had surgery, along with a pasta Frittata. I wanted her to have a fresh, easy meal and since she only had the use of one hand serving this would be a snap!

Both dishes I made her were pasta based...I must equate pasta with comfort?

Anyway...most people think Tortellini-which is what I thought I was buying. But when I pulled the bag out of my pantry, lo and behold it's Tortellini's big brother-Tortelloni!

I love these, they're big and plump and cheesy and well...comforting. 

Tossed with a super simple pesto-amazingly SIMPLE, and roasted red peppers, sooo good. I almost hated to give it away, and the youngest unit almost cried when she learned it wasn't staying. 


Even if you've never made pesto, this will make a believer out of you! I don't know why I never thought of using a ready made dressing as the base for a pesto? How easy and actually really delicious. You're really making pesto, just subbing a ready made vinaigrette for the olive oil. It is delicious on rice salads, lettuce salads even poultry prior to grilling!


INGREDIENTS:
1-8 oz. package Tortelloni or tortellini, cooked per instructions and set aside
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
2 green onions sliced
1/4 cup bottled zest Italian dressing-your favorite brand
10-12 fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese-grated
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. Prepare pasta per directions, drain, rinse in cool water and drain again. 
2. Place in a large bowl with red peppers and green onions
3. In a food processor or blender place basil, galic, salt and pepper, chop and with blade running drizzle in dressing using slightly more to make it a dressing consistency.
4. Pour over all and toss to combine.
5. Refrigerate to chill and serve. 




Enjoy!


This recipe is shared on My Link Parties. Also shared on Weekend Potluck and Buns In My Oven and Daily Dish





I was featured!     






No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....