Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Chili Cheese Hot Dog Burrito Bake



I'm back.

Sorry folks, I took a long hiatus from my beloved blog. 

A lot happened. 

Starting off -- I experienced another episode of cancer. I probably haven't shared this but I am a cancer survivor. 
I was first diagnosed 24 years ago at the young age of 34. I was a young mother going through a traumatic divorce.
I went on to meet my soul mate, marry and move to North Iowa. We were blessed with two beautiful girls. 
Seven years later the dreaded cancer came back. 

With the excellent care I received I again survived. And life took over raising 4 exceptional little beings and then I created this blog as an outlet for my love of food, eating and cooking. 

All while having my older kids go through high school and college and wrangling the younger two through school as well. 

Three years ago, I had to fight that damn C word again. And then low and behold 2 weeks after I returned to my job, the company I loved working for, for almost 9 years, terminated my position. 

I lost a lot of the loving drive I had to actively pursue my beloved blog. I still have some angst over that episode, but I moved on. 

My oldest daughter then married her wonderful Steven. And then a year later my mommy left this life unexpectedly. She was the reason I love food and cooking so much. My heart just could not bring me to post. 

But I've been cooking and feeding my family and my dear dad ever since. I have to cook for my DH each night and to make a meal and take it to my daddy nightly was a no brainer. 

We're empty nesters now, the youngest two are both in college and now I'm a grandma!

Such a blessing and my life is again in a good place to start sharing all the delicious, easy, nutritious (mostly-haha), meals I make every night. 

Today was the day. 

I made a quick, easy, not so nutritious, but oh so delicious meal. Kinda geared to what my 81 year old father likes. He has the appetite of a teen mostly, crazy huh?

He loves chili cheese hotdogs. 

Well, goodness. Who doesn't? I know we can't have them all the time but once in a while I indulge his not so good for you, but oh so good likes. 

I have to admit we all loved these. Psst... don't tell him I used whole wheat tortillas.

These babies are made with your favorite chili and beans (yes, canned), copious amounts of cheese, hotdogs- you're fav brand, and sautéed onions. 

See, I did cook!

They are AWESOMMME! Cheesy, melty and everything thing you'd want in a chili cheese hotdog sans the bun. 

But!

I subbed whole wheat flour tortillas. Gotta get something healthy in here, right?

Minimal prep and ready to devour in 30 minutes. 

Now that's what I call a winner, weeknight dinner!


Cook time: 30 Min  Prep time: 15 Min  Serves: About 4
Ingredients
2- 15 oz cans of chili (with or without beans) I used with-beans
1- 16 oz pkg of hot dogs (we like good ole OM)
10- 8 inch flour tortillas (taco size-I used whole wheat, but go for your fav)
1- 16 oz pkg. shredded cheese
1 medium onion (chopped)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Brown hot dogs in skillet add onion and cook just until onions are clear. I like to lay out my tortilla's  and place hot dogs, some onions and a little cheese in each one. Reserve at least half of the cheese. Spread half of one can of chili on the bottom of the dish and place rolled hotdogs, seam side down over this. 
3. Pour the rest of the cans of chili on top, spreading to cover and sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake, lightly tented with foil for about 25min or until cheese and chili are bubbling! I then drizzled crema on top or you could use sour cream and cilantro on top. 


Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....